The Pitcairn Islands are named after Robert Pitcairn (1752 – 1770?), a midshipman of the Royal Navy.
The island group comprises Pitcairn Island, which covers an area of 4.6 square kilometres. It is the only inhabited island with a population of about 56 peoples. Other islands are the Henderson Island, an unspoiled coral atoll with a rare ecology, which has been a World Heritage Site since 1989 and the tiny Ducie and Oeno islands. The highest point is the Pawala Valley Ridge on Pictairn Island and reaches an elevation of 340 meters.
Pictairn Island was colonized by mutineers of the Bounty (led by Fletscher Christian) in the year 1790. The island was annexed by Great Britain in 1839. In 1902 there were also annexed the uninhabited islands of Henderson, Ducie and Oneo.
Pitcairn Islands 1957.