The Stonington Island is a very small island of approximately 750 metres length and 250 metres width. The island is situated in the Marguerite Bay. Formerly the island was connected by snow slopes with the Northeast Glacier of the Antarctic Peninsula.
The Island was the location of the British Base E and the American East Base. The British Base E had two periods of operation (1946–50 and 1960–75). The buldings of the closed stations are still existing and were designated as a Historic Site and Monument in the year 1995.
British Antarctic Territory 2003, The British Base E on Stonington Island.
The stamp was issued in the series "Bases and Postmarks".
The stamp is showing a view towards south with the mountain in the background, known as Roman Four Promontory (875 m). It was surveyed by the British Graham Land Expedition in 1936. It's name comes from the snow-filled clefts along the face which give the appearance of the Roman figure IV. It is a very well known landmark in the area.
British Antarctic Territory 2015, The British Base E on Stonington Island.
The stamp was issued in the series "British Historic Huts".